Sunday, September 7, 2008

Baby Nicholas

We are officially grandparents of three as of 9/4/08 @ 1:51 pm when Nicholas Andrew Grindy made his arrival (20 days early). We received "the call" at 3:45 am from Katy..."mom, they just admitted me and I'm 4 cm's. sooooo thinking hey it's her first baby and that we have plenty of time we stayed in bed until 4:30 discussing if we should take the trailer (we already had reservations at Pismo for the week-end with friends and we figured it was too late to cancel). Any how we got up and got ready, hooked up the trailer and my phone rang...."hi mom, where are you, I'm 5 cm's. Needless to say we are now wondering if we will make it to Santa Barbara in time....especially pulling the trailer. So we prayed that God would get us safely there in time and took off at 6:45 am. Just past Kettleman my phone rings again...."hi mom, where are you, I'm 6-7 cm's and am going to get my epidural". So we drive a bit faster...At about 10:15 we were in Pismo Beach and this time I call to let them know where we are and Katy says she is 8 cm's. We have approx 1 more hour to drive! At 11:35 ish we arrive at the hospital but can only find a 90 min parking place to fit the truck and trailer so we decide that I should get into the hospital while Gene continues to find a place to park. I speed walk into Cottage Hospital and up to the 3rd floor to Labor and Delivery (I have to think how appropriate is this....I spent 13 years working as a Labor and Delivery nurse on the 3rd floor at Fresno Community Hospital). As I walk into the room, trying to be a parent and not a nurse.....the baby's heart beat begins dropping! In came the nurse to check Katy and we are informed she is 10 cm's and ready to start pushing. What an awesome God we have!!!! I called Gene and he had found a parking space about 3 blocks away but the street sign say no parking from 9am-12 noon for street sweeping. It is now about 11:55 and I tell him to hurry....the nurse says we can wait if he isn't going to be long. Any how he comes running in just in time to see Rob and Katy and give her a kiss. Then off the parents go to the waiting room to....wait. At about 2 pm Rob came out to the waiting room with a glow on his face that only a new dad can have. Nicholas Andrew (none of us knew his name until that instant) weighed in at 7 lbs and is 20 inches long.....imagine if he had spent another 20 days in there......Rob and Katy did an awesome job during the labor and the delivery! Uncle Brian got to the hospital that afternoon and was quite taken by this new addition to the family. Now I'm hoping his turn will come within my lifetime. I am sure I will never tire of getting new grandkids :)
What a blessing it was for us to be able to be there and hold and love on our new grandson. Thank you Rob and Katy for that gift. We love you all very much.

No comments: